What Can You Do When Your Ex Violates Your Custody Order?

On Behalf of | Oct 7, 2022 | Child Custody |

The custody order drafted or at least approved by the judge presiding over your Illinois family law matter determines how you and your ex share your parental rights and responsibilities. It likely includes a thorough breakdown of how you will share parenting time and your other obligations to the children.

Your custody order carries the full weight of the Illinois family courts, but that does not guarantee that your ex will comply with the order. Many parents in Illinois find themselves dealing with the stressful scenario where they have a custody order giving them time with the children but their ex keeps interfering in their relationship with the children.

What rights do you have when your ex denies you time with the children or input into their lives?

You Can Ask The Courts For Enforcement

It is possible to enforce the terms of a custody order by going back to family court. A judge can review the order and the details of your current situation and potentially act to enforce your custody order.

They could order your ex to give you some make-up parenting time. They might rule in a way that prevents your ex from continuing to make major decisions about your children without your input. They may also warn your ex about the obligation to abide by the terms of the existing order or face additional consequences.

What If Enforcement Actions Don’t Help?

If you have already gone to court once and had a judge order make-up parenting time or otherwise rule in your favor, you may hope that your parenting disputes will soon end. Unfortunately, those willing to interfere in the relationship their ex has with the children may not change their behavior just because a judge warns them they should.

If you have already attempted to enforce your existing custody order but your ex continues to deny you time with the children or interfere in your relationship with them, you may have no choice but to ask a family law judge to review and possibly modify your custody order. They could increase your parenting time or decision-making authority so that your ex is no longer able to maliciously intervene in your relationship with the children.

Knowing your options when hoping to enforce a child custody order can help those with a non-compliant co-parent.